My dear friend and neighbor, Christy, found a lovely little spearmint-colored vinyl footstool for me at a yard sale long ago. She bought it because “It fits perfectly in your basement!” And it does. She is so sweet – and proves to have more of an eye for design than she accredits to herself.
Well, a few months ago, I was so sad to find a crack in the vinyl! I’m almost positive that it was my own 18-month-old and his pretend chopsticks (which Christy also gave us, I might add) that were the culprit. Well, the crack grew. And then multiplied. I kept thinking I should just throw it out, but was racking my brain for a less terminal solution. And then…it came to me. Mod Podge! Mod Podge is one of my favorite solution to anything and everything. Fortunately, the cracks were only on the top of the footstool, so I:
- Put pieces of white contact paper over the cracks
- Found some lightweight fabric I liked
- Carefully cut a circle of fabric to fit the top (cutting off little strips a bunch of times)
- Poured a 1/4 cup or so of Mod Podge on top
- Had that now-23-month-old help me spread the glue around with plastic knives
- Let it dry
- Voila! What do you think?!
Everyone keeps asking, “Is that a new little footstool?” Now you’re in on my little secret.